Friday, February 13, 2009

The Vow

Nearly a year ago, while my Study Partner and I were working our way through the JM Greer curriculum, DH suggested that I read "The Golden Dawn" by Israel Regardie (or better, compiled, and/or written by I.R.). Since I was already reading one Regardie book, as part of the curriculum, and was about to start a Dion Fortune book (for the same reason), I told him that it would have to wait. And so in late July 2008, once I finished the Greer curriculum and had taken a small break, I started reading "The Golden Dawn."



I am still reading "The Golden Dawn."



DH never came out and said "this is a reference book." He said "read it." It wasn't until much time had passed that he commented that most people don't sit and read it through, cover to cover. In fact, that while he has read the entire book, it was in the manner of looking up what he was interested in, or needed to know, not by reading it from front to back. But by that point, I had invested so much time in it, that I was determined to read it through.

It makes a lovely bedside table, read a bit of it right before falling asleep, book. And, I rarely have trouble falling asleep these days.

I am close to being finished. Close enough that I have another book on the end table, waiting, and encouraging me to finish. There are nights when I pick up "Golden Dawn" with a sigh, because I'd really rather not. The other night DH said, "it can't be very interesting, reading it like that-its like reading the encyclopedia." No, it isn't. I read the Encyclopedia Britannica as a kid. I was that kind of nerdy kid, and I lived in that kind of nerdy household that actually owned a full set of Encyclopedia Britannica. Reading the encyclopedia was fun; and I can still get lost in a good dictionary. (although nowadays, it takes both reading glasses and a magnifying glass to read the Oxford, alas.) While there have been a couple of "aha" moments with "Golden Dawn," I don't really think that any of it qualified as "fun."

But I vowed to myself that I would read it through. And if you can't count on yourself to keep vows made to yourself; how can you trust "you" to keep vows to others?

4 comments:

Susanne Iles said...

You sound so much like me in this post.You certainly got me thinking...a vow is a vow, isn't it? (especially when it comes to books..why? I have no idea...it's as if you owe it to yourself AND the book to finish it to the end)

I also have a streak of nerdism in me a mile wide. Your point about Britannica made me laugh in recognition. There was just something about encyclopedias...was it their heft? Their coloured pictures? The fact that we had the world at our fingertips? (mwahaha!)

There is something to be said about the joy of learning...even if it means slogging through gargantuan tomes. My current beside book is the giant compilation of the Three Books of Occult Philosophy by Henry Cornelius Agrippa. Sometimes puts me to sleep...more often it gives me interesting dreams.

Love following your blog...best to you always!!!-Susanne

Hibiscus Moon said...

I had a book like that. It took my 3 years to read it through...with many breaks in between, but I was determined to finish it. I also had a set of Brittanica's as a kid and liked reading them. :)

Lavanah said...

Hi, Susanne,
I think it has to do with the
encyclopedias clearing being oceans of knowledge. I loved the clear overlays in the anatomy pages.
I'm reading Agrippa, too. (anyone who spends anytime chatting with RO gets mesmerized: "Must read Agrippa.") But I'm not using the same methodology for that book.

I enjoy reading your blog, too. I love the stories that you retell.

Lavanah said...

Hi, Hibiscus Moon. I wonder if there is some relationship between those of us who read encyclopedias as kids and the bullheaded determination to not let any books get the better of us?