Friday, May 9, 2008

An interesting exercise in will

Of all the assignments, readings, lists to memorize, things to learn and absorb, the last thing I ever expected to have trouble with, while working my way through the Greer curriculum was the hebrew. Writing the hebrew, specifically (although I do have issues with his transliteration, too. Decent transliteration is HARD). I learned to write hebrew when I was 7 or 8 years old, but I learned hebrew as a living, conversational language. So, while I learned to read the fancy, printed ceremonial type, I learned to write (and read, too) the script or handwriting letters. To say that the letters of "handwriting" look different from "print" is to say that shorthand notation doesn't look anything like the lettering on the front page of the New York Times. Learning something entirely new is much easier than taking something you know, filing it away and learning it all over again, but differently. Every time I write something, I have to consciously remind myself to not do it that way that I've always done it. I actually find myself consulting a chart, and using a hebrew school primer to teach myself how to write letters in a language that I've known for ....lets just say: decades. I've even taught hebrew (well, as a substitute). The only advantage that I've gotten from that is at least I know where to get the tools to relearn from. So far, I've had not much trouble with the official "will" exercises. I guess this makes up for it.

No comments: